Leucorrhoea is a medical term that defines vaginal discharge. It is a universal problem among women commonly seen during the reproductive age and pregnancy. It is a thin sticky discharge usually white or yellow in colour with some mild smell. Vaginal discharge is a normal phenomenon but the change in nature of the discharge gives a suspicion about the intervention of the disease.
Causative factors for Leucorrhoea
- Improper diet and lifestyle
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Hormonal imbalance (especially estrogen)
- Drastic hormonal fluctuations during pregnancy
- Injury to the vagina, womb or cervix during pregnancy
- Irritation from IUD (intrauterine device) like, copper T, loop etc.
- Lack of hygiene and cleanliness
- Stress and strain
- Vaginitis, cervicitis
- PID (pelvic inflammatory disease)
Types of Leucorrhoea
It is clinically classified into two types:
- Physiological – This leucorrhoea is considered to be normal as it is due to hormonal changes. It is generally seen in early stages of pregnancy, sign of puberty in young girls, new-born baby after birth for a week, state of sexual excitement.
- Pathological or Inflammatory – In this condition the discharge is yellowish and foul smelling. It is caused due to any disease or medical condition like vaginitis, cervicitis, PID (pelvic inflammatory disease).
Symptoms of Leucorrhoea
- Thick, frothy whitish or yellowish vaginal discharge
- Foul smelling discharge
- Vaginal itching
- Pain in lower abdomen and back
- Radiating pain in thighs and calf muscles
- Weakness and lethargy
Ayurvedic Herbs and Home Remedies for Leucorrhoea
- Ashoka – Helps in toning up the uterus and balances the hormones. It can be taken in the form of churna (powder), ghrita (paste) or arishta (tonic).
- Lodhra – 2 tsp. of asava or 1 tsp. of this churna twice a day helps reduce the white discharge.
- Shatavari – 1 tsp. with milk strengthens the reproductive system and tones up the uterus preventing leucorrhoea.
- Patranga – 3 – 4 gm. of churna or asava gives good results in leucorrhoea.
- Pushyanug Churna – 2 – 3 gm. of churna taken twice a day helps reduce the symptoms of leucorrhoea.
- Some more herbs like, gandhak, moti pishti, loha bhasma, giloy satva, abhrak bhasma helps in building immunity and thus tones up the reproductive system combating leucorrhoea.
- Tandulodak – Boil 3 tsp. of rice in 3 cups of water and then strain the water. Mix little sugar in rice water and consume. This is considered as one of the best remedy in leucorrhoea.
- Fenugreek Seeds – Add 1 tsp. of fenugreek seeds to 1 glass of water boil it till it reduces to half. Drinking this decoction reduces leucorrhoea symptoms. It can be used externally for vaginal wash.
- Coriander Seeds – soak coriander seeds at night in water, chew the seeds and drink the water empty stomach in the morning. Continue for a week for better results.
- Cranberry juice – Drinking cranberry juice 2 – 3 times a day reduces leucorrhoea symptoms.
- Banana – eating banana which is ripe or over ripe is very beneficial in white discharge.
- Fasting for a day or two with only fruits and juices really help drain out the toxins.
- Amla pulp mixed with butter milk, honey or ghee taken 15- 20 days reduces leucorrhoea and increases general debility.
- Panchavalkala kwatha can be taken internally 2-3 times a day, and can also used to wash the vagina which reduces the foul smell and the discharge.
- Cold hip bath or sitz bath will relieve the lymph congestion and reduce leucorrhoea symptoms.
Pathya (eatable) in leucorrhoea (shweta pradara)
Milk, dates, red rice, cow’s ghee, green gram, gooseberry, green leafy vegetables, fruits and rest is advisable.
Apathya (avoid) in shweta pradara
Spicy food, alcohol intake, excess exercising, excess indulging in sexual activity, eating dry and junk food, stress, strain, sleepless nights, exhaustion etc. should be avoided.
Leucorrhoea or shweta pradara is a common vaginal discharge which almost every woman experience in her reproductive phase. There is nothing to panic about it, but should not be left untreated. If leucorrhoea is attended and treated on time with ayurvedic natural remedies, we can prevent further infections and root out the causative factor to lead a tension free life. Ayurveda has the best medicines for any kind of hormonal imbalances in females. It’s always better to switch on to ayurvedic medicines which are free from any side effects, helps in toning up of the uterus and preventing dreadful diseases of the uterus.