If you would like to manage your body the Ayurvedic way and keep it free from dieseases, then you should have Panchkarma performed on you. In fact, Panchkarma is one of the best tools for curing diseases and managing your overall health. It can also be used to detoxify the body. The word “Panchkarma” has been derived from the Sanskrit language and means “five treatments”.
The 5 Therapies in Panchakarma
Vamana or the Emesis Therapy
When you suffer from cold, bronchitis, cough, asthma or any other such respiratory problems, Vamana is used to make you vomit out the Kapha or whatever causes the excess mucus to affect you. First, after the swedan and snehan, you would be administered three to four glasses of salt or licorice water. Then, the vomiting centre is triggered by rubbing the tongue. Alternatively, you may be administered three to four glasses of salt or licorice water to aggravate the Kapha after which the tongue is rubbed. The patient will feel instant relief when the mucus is released from the body. Also, they would administer other emetic substances that would help release the excess mucus such as neem leaves, madhuka, madan, murva, cardamom, or any other such substance instead of salt or licorice water.
Virechana or the Purgation Therapy
When excess Pitta or bile is secreted by the body and accumulated in the small intestine, liver, and gall bladder, it results in acne, inflammation, biliary vomiting, nausea, jaundice, etc. Therapeutic purgatives or laxatives are administered in the Virechana therapy. It is facilitated by flax seeds, senna leaves, and triphala or psyllium husks in a combination that is appropriate for most individuals. Virechana reduces the Agni or fire element in the body.
Basthi or the Enema Therapy
The side of the body where the Vata is predominant is the colon. Basthi involves the introduction of certain Ayurvedic concoctions into the rectum and this helps treat the Vata disorders effectively. If you are suffering from sexual disorders, backache, kidney stones, heartache, and many other conditions as a result of Vata Doshas, you would need to go undergo the Basthi therapy. There are eight types of Basthi and each of them has its own benefits as well as contra-indications.
- The oil enema or Anuvasana is administered to those who overeat.
- The decoction enema or Niruha-Asthapana is administered to people who suffer from gout, fever, hyperacidity or any other such condition.
- The Uttara Basthi is used for certain ovulation or semen related disorders and this is not to be administered to those who are suffering from diabetes.
- The daily oil enema or Matra Basthi is administered to people who overwork or walk long distances or do heavy exercises.
- The Karma Basthi has a schedule of thirty Basthis; the Kala Basthi and Yoga Basthi have schedules of fifteen and eight Basthis each.
- The Bruhana Basthi is the final Basthi, which is administered to those who need a lot of nutrition.
Nasya or the Nasal Administration
Administering medications through the nose is known as Nasya. There are six steps to this therapy:
- Pradhamana uses dry powders in place of oils, which are blown into the nose by means of a tube. This is mainly used to treat Kapha-type diseases.
- Bruhana Nasya uses Ashwagandha ghee, Shatavari ghee, etc. for treating Vata-type diseases.
- Shaman Nasya uses some herbal teas and concoctions to treat Pitta-type diseases.
- Navana Nasya is used to treat Vata-Pitta or Kapha-Pitta type disorders.
- Marshya Nasya and Prati Marshya are used to treat minor disorders or health problems.
Raktamoksha or the Detoxification Therapy
In this type of treatment, they purify the blood without which people would suffer from repeated infections, toxaemia, and such other health conditions. Therefore, internal medication is administered so that the body of the person undergoing this therapy would be completely detoxified.
Panchakarma treatments can be used to treat not only the disorders listed above but also to address many other health problems. However, if you are a diabetic or pregnant, you should not take these treatments.