Poly cystic ovarian disease/syndrome (PCOS) is the most common hormonal disease prevailing amongst women. The analysis reports that almost 50-70% of infertility cases are due to PCOS. It is an endocrine disease where there is an imbalance in female sex hormones estrogen and progesterone that affects the follicular growth in an ovarian cycle. The affected follicles remains in the ovaries and form a cyst, and in each cycle a new cyst is formed resulting in multiple cysts in ovaries thus the name PCOS.
Causes of PCOS
The exact cause is unknown, but few factors can be considered:
- Acne, oily skin
- Oligomenorrhoea or amenorrhoea
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding
- Excess hair growth in male pattern
- Insulin resistant
- Obesity, especially waistline
- Hyper pigmentation on face and neck
Ayurvedic Perspective on PCOS
According to our classical texts PCOS can be correlated to anartava, bandhya type of yonivyapad. This clearly suggests that PCOS is caused due to obstruction of doshas i.e., vata, pitta and kapha in artavavaha srotas i.e., the reproductive system. This obstruction is mainly due to the vikruti of apana vata which regulates the functions of the reproductive system along with other two doshas.
- In vata predominance, symptoms like painful menstruation, irregular scanty menses can be seen.
- In pitta predominance, symptoms like acne, hair fall, clots and heart problems etc. can be seen.
- In kapha predominance, symptoms like weight gain, type 2 diabetes symptoms, Infertility, sensitive to cold and hirsutism can be seen.
There are many complications of PCOS that could arise if left untreated. High cholesterol, hypertension, Anxiety and depression, Hypothyroidism, Diabetes type ll, Breast cancer and cardiovascular diseases and endometrial cancer are some of them.
Ayurvedic Natural Herbs for PCOS:
- Ashoka – It can be taken in the form of powder, ghee or arishta which balances the doshas as well as hormones reducing the symptoms.
- Shatavari – This herb is the mother of herbs in female problems. Capsules, powders, lehya or syrups helps combat PCOS.
- Kanchanar – when taken in the form of tables, elevates the cysts and promotes normal ovulation.
- Shilajit – Tones up the reproductive system, builds immunity thereby help in PCOS.
- Ashwagandha – Helps in balancing vata and builds immunity. It can be taken as churna, tab or arishta which yields good results in PCOS.
- Pushyanug churna – 2-5 gm. of this churna when taken with warm water helps balance the doshas clearing the obstruction.
- Aloe Vera – 1-2 tsp. aloe vera pulp or aloe vera juice increases the metabolism and relieves the obstruction causing PCOS.
Panchakarma for PCOS
Panchakarma is an ayurvedic detoxification process. This therapy not only detoxifies the reproductive system but also tones up and strengthens the reproductive parts in females as well as males. Panchakarma clears the obstruction in the artava vaha srotas ensuring a proper hormonal and dosha balance thus curing PCOS.
- Basti – It is a process where medicated enema (oils/ decoctions) is given through rectum. Basti pacifies apan vata and clears the obstruction in the artavavaha srotas. It regulates the ovarian function and helps in production of healthy ovum.
- Uttarbasti – It is a procedure carried out in genito urinary disorders in both men and women. Here the medicine is administered through vagina into the uterus. Uttar basti helps in eliminating apan vata, unclogging the blocked srotas (channels) and providing nourishment to the reproductive system.
- Virechana – This is a procedure where the person is made to purgate with oral medicines for a number of times. It eliminates excess pitta and detoxifies the liver, colon and purifies blood. Thus helps in proper ovulation and functioning of the uterus.
Apart from the ayurvedic herbs and Panchakarma, yoga asanas and pranayama should yield satisfactory results when practised daily.
PCOS is a disease which is reversible in any age group. Early diagnosis and treatment is the key to reverse this disease. In majority of infertility cases, PCOS is the cause which goes unnoticed and untreated. Ayurveda plays an important part in curbing and giving new life to patients with acne, dysfunctional menstruation, amenorrhoea, menorrhagia, obesity, Infertility. Adopting ayurvedic way of life gives a women tension free and healthy life.