Chyawanprash is a popular ayurvedic dietary supplement consumed by all the age groups, in India. It is basically a cooked mixture of ingredients like sugar, ghee, honey, gooseberry jam, berries, sesame oil, and several indigenous spices. The formulation for Chyawanprash was first prepared by Ashwini Kumar brothers, the twins who used to be the royal physicians for Devas during the Vedic times, for Chyawan rishi at his ashram. The original formulation of this ayurvedic supplement is documented in the ancient ayurvedic text named Charaka Samhita.
Gooseberry makes the main ingredient in this ayurvedic recipe and in addition to it contains a number of herbs including ashwagandha, vidarikand, pueraria, pippali, long pepper, white sandalwood, cardamom, tulsi, brahmi, arjun, jatamansi, neem and many others. This ayurvedic jam is known to be the best product among other health supplements. It is a thick brown paste dominated by the flavor of gooseberry, ghee and the spices like cardamom and cinnamon, making it sweet and sour in taste. Its unique taste is loved by all and hence is popular among both kids and grown-ups alike. This Rasayana is also considered to be the best tonic for vata, pitta, and kapha doshas as well as helps in rebuilding the body and mind. This unique jam helps in restoring a harmonious synergy in the body, thereby improving the body metabolism.
Who can use Chyawanprash and How?
Chyawanprash is a great herbal tonic suitable for consumption by people of all ages and it helps in promoting longevity and well-being.
For adults, the recommended dosage is to consume one to two tablespoons along with a glass of milk and preferably in the morning before breakfast.
For children, those who are of age 5 and above, the recommended dosage is a quarter to half spoon of lehyam along with a glass of milk.
It is better to drink milk after taking Chyawanprash because as per Ayurveda, the various herbs included in this unique preparation are hot in potency and thus to mitigate its effect one should drink milk after its consumption.
Those who suffer from any kind of diseases like diabetics, allergies or any other then it is always advisable to consult a physician before going ahead with Chyawanprash.
Benefits of Chyawanprash
There are various benefits of taking Chyawanprash as it is purely herbal in nature with a powerful anti-oxidant property, owing to its main ingredient gooseberry.
- It fights against many viral, fungal, and bacterial infections, thereby protecting your body from diseases.
- It helps in improving the lung functions in the body.
- Regular intake of Chyawanprash in the required dosage prevents heart strokes.
- It also helps in easing constipation and aids in the efficient absorption of nutrients from the food that you eat.
- Nausea, gas, flatulence, and diarrhoea can be treated by taking Chyawanprash regularly.
- It helps in eliminating toxins from the body and thus purifying the blood naturally.
- It has anti-aging properties that help delay the aging signs.
- Regular intake of this ayurvedic mixture provides strength, energy, and nourishment.
- In the case of urine infections, chest infections, and throat infections this ayurvedic medicine works as a great remedy.
- It helps in enhancing the complexion of your skin.
- For those suffering from depression, this herbal jam acts as an antidepressant and tranquilizer.
- It strengthens your immune system and also improves your concentration and memory.
In ladies, it promotes regular menstruation and enhances fertility.
Side-effects of Chyawanprash
Apart from the health benefits there are certain side-effects of Chyawanprash, which are listed below:
- Some people complain of burning sensation or increased feeling of hotness inside the stomach after taking this ayurvedic tonic. In such case, it is recommended to drink a glass of warm milk after consuming Chyawanprash.
- Some people experience loose stools.
- Diabetic patients should consume it under the supervision of a doctor because it contains sugar.
- It is best to avoid intake of Chyawanprash during summer as it has a reverse impact during this time and should be regularly consumed during winter.
This multi-benefited natural health preserve is the considered as a complete health tonic for people of all ages. However people suffering from specific ailments like diabetes, Kidney Disorders etc. should consult an Ayurvedic Practioner before having the same.