The prostate is a walnut sized muscular gland in the male reproductive system which is found at the base of the bladder. The prostate gland secretes a fluid that protects and nourishes the sperm. Hence a vital gland in the male reproductive system. This prostate gland gets enlarged in almost all men during old age. The enlarged prostate is also known as benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH). It is analysed that by the age of 60, 50% men are affected and by 85 yrs. almost 90% of men suffer with BPH. It is a non-cancerous condition and can be very well treated with ayurvedic herbs.
Causes for Enlarged Prostate
- In most of the cases the cause is unknown.
- Hormones play a major role in development of prostate enlargement.
- Imbalanced vata dosha (apan vata)
Symptoms of Enlarged Prostate
- Difficulty in urination
- Increased frequency of urination
- Frequent nocturnal urination
- Urgency in urination
- Painful urination or ejaculation
- Leaking of urine
- Blood in urine or an unusual odour
- UTI (Urinary tract infection)
- Retention of urine
- Dribbling of urine
- A sensation of incomplete bladder evacuation
- Feeling of passing urine soon after urinating
- Bladder stone
- Blood in urine
- Acute retention of urine
- In rare cases bladder or Kidney damage
Natural Ayurvedic Treatment for Enlarged Prostate
- Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa) – Punarnava works as a diuretic. It has antimicrobial, antibacterial and inflammatory properties that helps in enlarged prostate. Punarnava can be taken in the form of asava, kashaya, powder or tablets/capsules.
- Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris) – Gokshura acts as a diuretic and anti-inflammatory. It helps in emptying the bladder and reducing the size of the prostate. Relieves pain, cleanses and detoxifies bladder. It balances vata and nourishes prostate & bladder. Gokshura can be taken in the form of powder or tablets. 2-4 tablets or 5-10gm powder per day.
- Shilajit (Asphaltum) – It is an organic tar like substance which promotes male hormones rejuvenates male reproductive organs and thus helps in enlarged prostate. It can be taken in the form of capsules individually or in combination with other herbs.
- Varun (crataeva nurvala) – It is very helpful in dysuria, urinary retention as it acts as an diuretic and anti-inflammatory that reduces the swelling of the prostate gland and gives significant relief. 1 tsp. powder twice a day with warm water is recommended.
- Amalaki (Emblica officinale) – It is a natural antioxidant and a rejuvenator. Builds immunity and strength. Thus protects the prostate from degeneration.
- Matra basti – a Panchakarma procedure has proven helpful in reducing the size of the enlarged prostate gland which improving the bladder tonicity.
- Corn Silk Tea – is a diuretic and helps in relaxing urinary lining and muscles. Take 5-6 strands of raw corn silk and boil it in 4 cups of water later simmer 5 for 10 minutes. Strain the tea and drink it 2- times a day. Or 15 drops of corn silk extract in 1 cup water can be taken few times in a day.
- Pumpkin Seeds – They are high in zinc and also has the property to shrink the enlarged prostate gland considerably. In addition they have omega 3 fatty acids that, aids in proper functioning of the prostate gland. Handful of plain seeds without any salt is enough or even pumpkin seed tea.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – its astringent property helps in reducing the size of the enlarged prostate gland. It also prevents the complications like UTI which, occurs due to enlarged prostate gland. Take 2 tsp. of apple cider vinegar and 1 tsp. honey in a glass of water and drink it twice daily.
- Tomatoes – Tomatoes help in reducing the symptoms of BPH. Lycopene in tomatoes lowers the level of prostate specific antigen that is responsible for prostate enlargement. Include tomatoes in diet in any form like sauce, puree juice chutney etc.
Few Home Remedies for Enlarged Prostate
Prostate enlargement is a condition which occurs in almost 90% of men after 50 yrs. of age. It’s not a cancerous condition to worry about, rather it’s a benign prostate hyperplasia that is curable. This condition can be very well treated by natural ayurvedic herbs and home remedies without the intervention of surgical procedures. It would be a wise decision to follow nature and Ayurveda as a remedy for BPH (benign prostate hyperplasia).