Hair loss is one of the common problem witnessed today by most of the individuals and the major causes can be hormonal imbalances, nutritional deficiencies, or a result of some hair treatments and medications. As per Ayurveda, the hair is a breakdown product of Asthi (bone tissue) and any alteration in the tissue metabolism can affect the health of the hair. The first step towards improving your hair health is to upgrade your diet and lifestyle. Ayurvedic home remedies are one of the safest and cost-effective means of treating hair loss problems.
There are several home remedies that are effective in curing the hair loss problems, using the herbal ingredients. Some herbal mixes are as described below.
7 Ayurvedic Tips to Control Hair Loss
- Amla (Indian Gooseberry) – Indian gooseberry is a rich source of vitamin C, minerals, and antioxidants, which makes an excellent hair nutrient to make your hair look healthier and stronger. It also acts as a natural conditioner and prevents hair from graying.
Method of Application: Apply Amla juice on the scalp and wash after 20 minutes. This helps in strengthening the hair follicles. Otherwise, make a hair pack by mixing Amla powder, henna, and Brahmi powder along with curd. Apply it on hair and leave for 1-2 hrs. followed by thorough washing with clean water.
- Aloe Vera – It is one of the important natural ingredients that control hair loss and promote hair growth.
Method of Application: Mix a bit of cumin with Aloe Vera juice and apply it on the scalp for few minutes followed by washing with clean water. You can apply it 2-3 times a week and continue this for 3 months to prevent thinning of hair.
- Bhringaraj (Eclipta prostrata) – It is one of the best Ayurvedic herbs to control hair fall to prevent graying of hair.
Method of Application: Mix a small amount of Bhringaraj in warm water and cool it then apply on the scalp for few minutes followed by hair wash. This helps in strengthening the hair. Otherwise, make a paste of Bhringaraj leaves and apply it on the scalp for few minutes then wash it off with clean water. This enhances the hair growth.
- Reetha (Sapindus Mukorossi) – This herbal ingredient is known for its excellent hair and skin benefits. It acts as a natural hair cleanser, enhances hair growth, and prevents hair fall by strengthening the hair follicles.
Method of Application: Take out the nuts from the fruit and crush it. Soak the Reetha nuts in half a litre of water and leave it overnight. Strain it and wash your hair with this water continuing for at least one month to get the best result. Alternatively you can massage the Reetha powder over the scalp followed by thorough washing with water to offer a healthy and shinier hair.
- Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera) – It is also known as Indian ginseng that offers great benefits against hair loss. One of the main factors in hair loss is weakened immunity system and Ashwagandha acts as an immunity booster.
Method of Application: Ashwagandha root powder when applied on the scalp enhances blood circulation, thereby promoting healthy hair growth. It also preserves natural hair colour and prevents hair graying.
- Methi (Fenugreek Seeds) – The Fenugreek seeds makes for an effective home remedy to get rid of hair fall problem.
Method of Application: Take methi, reetha, green gram, lemon juice and curry leaves together and grind them to make a paste. Use it as a shampoo for your hair followed by thorough washing of hair with clean water.
- Neem (Margosa) – Neem is known for its advantageous benefits and its leaves have been used for ages to control hair fall by addressing its root cause.
Method of Application: Take few Neem leaves and boil it with water and leave it to cool. Strain it and use this water to rinse your hair. Or, you can use the Neem oil to massage over the scalp and leave it overnight. Wash it off with water the next day. This makes your hair silky, shiny and also helps in preventing hair loss.
Losing a few strands of hair daily is quite normal, but any hair loss more than a few strands is a serious concern and something to worry about. The above-mentioned herbs and their application procedures offer you simple home remedies of get rid of the problem forever. Try it today!