Long, black, thick and lustrous hair is every woman’s asset to flaunt and be proud of. It unfortunately is a distant dream for some naturally and for some a challenge to achieve and maintain. Hair loss being a prime reason for the latter. Hair loss is the most common of issues faced by a massive percentage of population today, male or female. Despite an umpteen number of oils, hair creams, lotions and world class treatments available, the problem continues to be a cause of concern for everyone. The reasons for hair fall are deep rooted and hence need appropriate care and treatment based on various factors. Ayurveda provides an in-depth insight into this field and suggests some easy to follow tips for hair care.
Causes of Hair Loss
The causes of hair loss are many. There are multiple factors which could affect hair growth and quality of hair. The hair loss could be due to any of the following reasons:
- Hormonal changes as in thyroid imbalance
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Complications due to other diseases and their treatments
- Side effects of other medication
- Lack of proper sleep
- Intake of very oily, spicy and sour food
- Acute illness
- Sudden weight loss
- High fever
- Lack of proper hair care
- As per Ayurveda, the cause of hair fall is elevated levels of pitta dosha. The excess of this dosha is a result of hot climatic conditions, very spicy and salty food, excessive smoking, intake of alcohol, meat regularly and excessively etc.
Ayurvedic Tips to Treat Hair Fall
There are different types of hair, namely dry, oily and normal or combination. Whatever be the type, each kind is vulnerable to damage, breakage and fall. Ayurveda emphasizes on finding the root cause, identifying the extent of the problem and then deriving a solution for it. Once the cause is diagnosed wonders from the treasures of Ayurveda could be suitably employed to treat this devil called hair fall.
- Locate the Cause: According to Ayurveda, it is essential to locate the origin of the problem. That is, what is causing the pitta dosha levels to increase? The reasons could be one or more. Based on this finding necessary changes in the lifestyle, food habits and ayurvedic treatments could be undertaken.
- Plate up with Nutritious and Balanced Diet: What we eat has a direct impact on our physical and mental health. Even how much and what time we eat has a significant effect on our systems. For all systems to function properly, it is imperative that the food we consume is digested and absorbed correctly and completely. For this to happen, foods rich in fibre are essential. Besides, a protein and iron rich diet is essential for maintaining the hair in good health. All in all a good balanced diet with all the essential nutrients, minerals and vitamins is the key to a healthy you. Don’t forget to drink plenty of water through the day.
- Have a Hair Care Routine: The cause for hair damage and fall are internal as well as external. Hair need to be taken care of everyday. A hot oil massage three days in a week followed by an appropriate shampoo and conditioner should be the minimal care one should provide hair with. Washing hair with amla and ritha along with shikakai is considered healthy as per Ayurveda. Any infections of the scalp or dandruff also should be attended to without delay. It is also noteworthy that hair are not to be combed when wet. It results in weakening of the roots.
- Indulge in Ayurvedic Herbs: Ayurvedic herbs promote growth of hair, enhance the health, smoothen hair, bring lustre and strengthen the roots altogether. Herbs like amla or the Indian gooseberry, methi, jatamansi, bhringaraj and aloe vera are most useful in treatment of hair fall and hair care.
- De-stress: Stress is a major cause for a large number of health related problems. Hair fall being one amongst them. Stress leads to disruption in sleep patterns which sends the entire body mechanism functioning for a toss. Stress is a primary culprit when it comes to hormonal imbalance. Managing stress is an art. Ayurveda recommends stress management through yoga and meditation. A moment of silence and introspection and planning your day would go a long way in blessing yourself with a stress free day.
Incorporate these easy to follow ayurvedic tips in your life and keep hair fall troubles away. Ayurveda gives a holistic solution to such problems and believes in eradicating them from the root the natural and healthy way.