Cancer is an illness which instils fear in a patient. A fear of uncertainty, a fear of the unknown and dilemma as to which course of action to choose for the treatment and cure of this life threatening disease which envelopes the patient’s mind and body with grief and depression. Fortunately it is possible to treat and cure this disease by attending to it in time with the correct approach. There are a few options for treatment of cancer. The first is the most conventional one involving surgery, chemotherapy and radiation, the second suggests alternative therapies and last but not the least is a combination approach. The decision to choose the course depends on the specialists, an oncologist in this case, and to a large extent on the faith of the patient and his/her family and friends. Different treatments have different success rates depending on the acuteness and the stage of the disease. However, the fact remains that cancer is easiest to be dealt with and cured when diagnosed and treated in the early stages.
Ayurvedic Approach to deal with Cancer
It is indeed a difficult proposition to choose a line of treatment amongst the conventional, alternative and integrative ones. Each one presents itself with benefits that a patient at that point of time is looking for. However, the suggestions of a practitioner and mainly the decision of the patient determine the final course of action. Healing is a time involving process and requires a positive frame of mind, belief and cooperation of the patient. This process involves understanding of the intricacies of the illness, its nature, the complications involved, accepting the changes likely to be experienced and preparing to make lifestyle changes as deemed essential. It implies that a holistic approach is desired to ensure healing which is synonymous to ayurvedic approach. Ayurveda primarily strengthens the ojas i.e. the internal energy by balancing the doshas and eradicating the cause of this imbalance. Ayurveda activates healing at the physical, mental and spiritual level simultaneously. It helps an individual become self aware, which is the primary requirement for a patient to understand the healing process.
Ayurvedic approach in treatment of cancer involves utilizing the power of visualization, following sattvic healing practices like yoga, making dietary changes and incorporating ayurvedic herbs in the healing process.
Ayurvedic Herbs to Heal Cancer
The power of certain herbs has been identified and harnessed to be put to use in the cure of cancer. Herbs offer immense potential to stimulate the healing process and even slay the cancerous cells. The following herbs are known to be very effective in treatment and cure of cancer.
- Ashwagandha: It is also known as the Indian ginseng which helps the body to deal with anxiety, fatigue, stress and trauma. Naturally it supplements the body with the positive energy to deal with this grave illness and fight the cancerous cells. It helps impede the growth of new carcinogenic cells while complimenting the good cells.
- Garlic: Garlic has been used the world over by naturopaths due to its cancer preventive properties. This ayurvedic wonder can be consumed raw, in food preparations, in ayurvedic formulations etc. It is said to protect the healthy cells and destroy the maligned ones.
- Green Tea: Green tea has exceptional antioxidant properties. Studies have found that green tea helps fight cancer in women.
- Ginger: This ayurvedic herb is used in most of the Indian dishes. Numerous studies have shown that ginger is affective in destroying ovarian and prostate cancer cells .It also prevents new cells from building up.
- Turmeric: Turmeric has the power to destroy colon cancer cells. With anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and various other properties Turmeric proves to be a highly beneficial herb when it comes to treating cancer.
- Holy Basil: Popularly known as Tulsi, holy basil is a rejuvenating agent. It can destroy precancerous cells and tumours. Holy basil can actually repair cells that have been damaged by oxidation and radiation.
- Guggulu: Guggulu has great anti inflammatory properties and anti oxidant properties. Due to these it reduces the chances of developing cancer to a large extent.
- Echinacea: It is an herbal plant with great natural antioxidant properties. It boosts the resistance of body against infections of all kinds. This herb is used to manage cancer patients during chemo or radiotherapy.
- Wheatgrass: The herb is effective in treatment of Hb deficiency which is a common feature in cancer patients. It scavenges the free radicals and helps in treatment of cancer.
- Black Caraway: Highly effective in treatment of breast cancer, this herb has immense anti oxidant value.
These herbs are easy to find and used in our day to day lives. The benefits these herbs offer are too important to be ignored. For an illness such as cancer these herbs not only offer preventive effects, they also help through the process of curing.